Saturday, July 25, 2009

TYAYA- Young Adults at Peace Camp 2009

It's the last night of peace camp 2009, and some of the young adults are hanging out and eating pizza. The youth service and open mike tonight were amazing. It's depressing to think that tomorrow we will all be departing to different places and it will be a whole year before we get to see each other again.

There were many wonderful things about peace camp this year (as there are every year). For example, hearing Kate Campbell and D.E. Adams sing together. Amazing. Especially for those of us who have grown up with their music.

I loved Rita Nakashima Brock's bible study on paradise (and Song of Songs, Ezekiel, and Revelation). I sometimes feel as if there is not much in the bible that speaks to me, or that I just don't want to deal with the violence and the mess. Then I come to peace camp and get to hear different interpretations, which aren't oppressive and problematic and at the same time have really solid historical, cultural, linguistic evidence supporting them, arguably more solid support than more traditional interpretations. I also loved Angela Yarber's 'discursive' on a passage from Song of Songs, which made this week's bible study the most sex positive, queer affirming bible study ever!!!

One thing that has been hard for me this week is that my parents were not able to be with us at peace camp; my dad was in a bus accident a few weeks ago while he was traveling with our church youth group to Passport. More about that here. He is still recovering back in Shreveport, and it will be a long slow process. But we have videos of parts of peace camp to bring back, and some cards that the BPFNA family signed, both for my dad and our home church.

btw, TYAYA is an acronym that stands for 'The Youth and Young Adults' (of the Baptist Peace Fellowship of North America). It's not a very creative acronym but is really fun to say =)

No comments:

Post a Comment